Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Spanish Rice


Spanish Rice 

Spanish Rice is a staple when making any Mexican or Spanish dish. I absolutely love Spanish Rice with tacos or fajitas or enchiladas. I used to use the Rice a Roni box kind, but then I learned how to make it from scratch and although I sometimes will resort to the box if I am pressed for time, usually I make it from scratch to ensure I can make just enough for one or two meals so as to not waste my food or money. It stores in the freezer well, but I don't like to freeze rice because it loses its texture over time. 

INGREDIENTS

1 Tablespoon butter

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 cup rice I used long-grain rice

2 garlic cloves minced

½ medium onion chopped

1 cup warm tap water

1 cup stewed tomatoes with juice sauce one 8oz. can plus a little more

1 teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon ground paprika

1 teaspoon chili powder

½ teaspoon salt

 INSTRUCTIONS

I melt butter with the olive oil in a medium pot, then I add the onions and garlic and stir together. I sauté for 2 minutes. Then I will add the rice and toast for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Stirring constantly. I will then add the water, stewed tomatoes with the juice, and all the spices listed above. Stir well. I then bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom. Lower the heat to a simmer, stir one more time, cover the pot, and let cook for 15-18 minutes.

Check the rice, fluff with a fork, and remove from heat. 

Let sit uncovered for 10 minutes before serving.

Elizabeth Kilbride is a Writer and Editor with forty years of experience in writing with 12 of those years in the online content sphere. Graduating with an Associate of Arts from Pheonix University in Business Management, then a degree in Mass Communication and Cyber Analysis from Phoenix University, then on to Walden University for her master’s in criminology with emphasis on Cybercrime and Identity Theft and is currently studying for her Ph.D. degree in Criminology, her work portfolio includes coverage of politics, current affairs, elections, history, and true crime. In her spare time, Elizabeth is also a gourmet cook, life coach, and avid artist, proficient in watercolor, acrylic, pen and ink, Gouache, and pastels. As a political operative having worked on over 300 campaigns during her career, Elizabeth has turned many life events into books and movie scripts while using history to weave interesting storylines. She also runs 6 blogs that range from art to life coaching, to food, to writing, and opinion or history pieces each week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment