Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Refried Bean Soup



Many years ago I met a chef from New Mexico who started working at the new National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC. he offered me a taste of this amazing soup so I had to ask for the recipe. He wasn't able to share it with me because his bosses were close by, but he later emailed it to me. I've made it a few times since then and always think of him as I am eating it. So if you like Southwestern fare, I'd suggest trying his Refried Bean Soup.

Ingredients

3/4 cup chopped celery

4 bacon strips

3/4 cup chopped onion

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1 can (16 ounces) refried beans

1/4 cup picante sauce or salsa

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Hot pepper sauce, optional I use Cholula Sauce

Shredded cheddar cheese

Tortilla chips

 

Directions

In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, sauté the onion, celery and garlic powder until vegetables are tender.

Add the beans, picante sauce, broth, parsley and bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until flavors are blended. Season to taste with pepper sauce if desired. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment