Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Indian Curried Chicken and the difference between curries

 

Indian Curried Chicken and the difference between curries



When I was growing up, my mother introduced me to Indian Curry dishes and to this day, I make her Curry Chicken and Rice dish as often as I am in the mood for it, which is once a month it seems.

There are many different types of Curry and I’ve tried just about all of them, from Indian Curry, Moroccan Curry, Madras Curry, Chinese Curry, Hot, mild, sweet curry, and let’s not forget Jamaican Curry. Although I still have some of each in my spice arsenal, I mainly use the Moroccan Curry for this dish because this specific curry is not only mild but also a little savory to the taste buds.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts – cut up into squares

½ an Onion – Diced

1 cup of Celery – sliced

2 Carrots - cut up 

1 cup uncooked Rice – I use Jasmine Rice

1 tablespoon Moroccan Curry

2 cups Chicken broth or 2 cups water and 2 bouillons

Salt and Pepper to taste

    

                In a large pot, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, celery, and onions to the oil and sauté for 1 minute.  Time to spice things up, add the curry powder, salt, and pepper along with the chicken broth.  Cover and allow to boil for 30 minutes to ensure onions, celery, and chicken is completely cooked. At the 30-minute point strain the juices from the contents of the pot. Cover other ingredients and keep them warm.  Replace liquid into the pot and add rice and a little bit more curry, allow to boil for 10 minutes then turn the heat down to low until rice is completely cooked.  Re-add chicken and veggies to pot and stir. If liquid has boiled away, add more broth or water and bouillon and let simmer until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment